Phillips Free kick snatches a late draw

The early minutes of this midweek league match were promising from the Rovers perspective when firstly Brandon Carney then Drew Phillips made good ground into the Thame half but Carney's shot on 2 minutes went wide and the inviting cross by Phillips a minute later met with no Barton takers. On 8 minutes a Danny Watson cross was met with a miss-hit shot by Phillips but nevertheless a promising start by Rovers. However, this promise was not sustained and Thame proceeded to take a stranglehold on the remainder of the first half. Matt Finlay in the Rovers goal was called into action on numerous occasions but was unable to prevent Thame's Dan West from opening the scoring after 26 minutes 0-1 Thame. Following the opening goal, Thame went on to hit the woodwork no fewer than three times before half-time with the single repost from Rovers a piercing run and shot from Phillips which Hill in the Thame goal kept out with his legs. Thame definitely the better side first half but with just the single goal to show on the back of a lot of possession.

The opening minutes of the second half were evenly contested but with little in the way of goalmouth action. Rovers Manager Tony Fontanelle made a couple of early substitutes with Dan Jarvis making his debut and Jack Keating replacing Peverall and Nicholls in midfield. Rovers were battling hard to get on top of this Thame side who, strangely and throughout the second half, were somewhat subdued given their first-half domination but they came very close to finishing the game in the 79th minute when Rovers Finlay saved from Thame's Goss. The game was playing out in favour of Thame but we had one last twist in added time when Rovers won a free-kick on the left edge of Thame's area - up stepped Drew Phillips to fire in an unsaveable shot and rescue a last-gasp point for Rovers - Final Score 1-1.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square