Battling Rovers go home pointless

An away day in West London for Rovers last Saturday following the midweek disappointment against Bedford Town with Rovers Manager Tony Fontanelle ringing the changes in this Rovers side in an effort to get a much-improved performance and something from this match. The opening half saw few clear-cut goal-scoring opportunities chances being created by either side with the overall possession fairly evenly shared. After 8minutes Ashford's No 9 John Cottee had an opportunity to test Dan Gould the Rovers keeper but failed to hit the target. A Charlie Payne free-kick after 13 minutes found no Rovers takers in the Ashford box and this was followed by a Dan Jarvis free-kick on 21 minutes that found Rovers skipper Paul Andrews but he headed straight into the arms of Ashford goalkeeper Tyler Tobin. Charlie Hayford was next to threaten when he fired just over from a Jarvis cross on the right. With the game limping to a blank scoreline at half-time the game was turned on its head in the 44th minute when a moment of magic from Ashford's Tom Howard saw Ashford take what was hardly a deserved half-time lead.

The second half followed a similar pattern to the first with very few clear openings being made by either side. However, it was Ashford who had the best of the chances with both Cottee and Jack Beadle squandering those opportunities. Rovers threw all three permitted substitutes, including Manager Fontanelle, into the fray in an effort to rescue at least a point and realistically should have done just that in the last 5 minutes but for some woeful finishing on the part of Michael Gyasi who it must be said had had a very subdued match up to that point.

Rovers entertain Portsmouth-based Moneyfields this Saturday at Sharpenhoe Road looking to pick up some points and ease a little further away from that relegation spot

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square