Game of 2 halves as Rovers roll over

A very promising opening 20 minutes for Rovers included taking the lead lead following a James Verney shot being saved, the follow-up scissor-kick by Charlie Hayford crashing off the crossbar only for Drew Phillips to smash the rebound into goal after just 7 minutes failed to inspire this Rovers side into a sustained effort over the 90 minutes. It seemed to those watching as though everything that was good in Rovers play during the opening twenty minutes simply evaporated as the game progressed from that point. Thame really took the game to Rovers after going behind and several good goal-scoring opportunities went begging with Tack, Goss and West the culprits but West finally found the target to equalise for Thame on the half-hour. Rovers had to withstand a deal of pressure following that equaliser and, in reality, were more than fortunate to go in at half-time level with their opponents. Thinking that a half-time tongue-lashing from Manager Tony Fontanelle would spark some life into this Rovers side was embarrassingly short-lived when, after just 3 minutes of the 2nd half Goss fired Thame ahead following some statuesque midfield and defensive play by Rovers allowing Man of the Match Lynton Goss to run unchallenged and he duly obliged by burying the ball behind the totally unprotected Rovers keeper Matt Finlay to give Thame the lead. Rovers simply failed to mount any resistance nor challenge to repel the continuing Thame onslaught so no real surprise when, on 55 minutes, West fired in a beauty of a free-kick giving Finlay not an earthly of saving to put Thame further ahead. This was followed very quickly by a fourth score for Thame again scored by West in the 58th minute - this one a simple side-foot effort which I might have been able to tap in!! Then a little bit too much lip on behalf of Rovers substitute Lee Close, following the award of a Thame penalty for a Rovers hand-ball in the box, led to a red card and a record short appearance of exactly FOUR minutes for Mr Close only recently returned after a long suspension - talk about letting the side down? The penalty-kick was duly despatched and a resultant hat-trick for Goss of Thame the outcome. One last 'hurrah' for Rovers when Michael Gyasi went on a mazy run through the Thame defence and crashed home a brilliant right-foot shot from all of 25 yards out - but far too little and too late for Rovers who had a day to forget with the final score reading 5-2 to Thame United.

Next up for Rovers is a home local derby against Kempston Rovers this Tuesday 17th April followed very quickly by another derby at AFC Dunstable on Thursday evening 19th April.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square