Battling point in entertaining game

With Peterborough Sports sitting joint second in the table currently this looked like a mighty challenge for the Rovers in this midweek league match. However, as is often the way in football, this Rovers side proved to be more than a match for their high-flying opponents. From the off both Rovers wide men Victor Osubu and Jimmy Hartley were prominent and giving the Rovers midfielders a constant target for their forward passes. Steph Bailey and Sam Robson were being particularly effective in breaking up play and, more importantly, retaining possession by finding their colleagues. Rovers bossed most of the first half but, despite their advantage in possession terms, the chances created were never of the clear-cut variety with Osubu and Hartley providing numerous inviting balls from wide positions neither Connor Vincent nor Drew Phillips were ever in position to take advantage and the nearest Rovers came to netting was a double effort by Osubu cutting in from the right wing, his first effort brilliantly parried by Peterborough keeper Lewis Moat only to see his shot from the rebound slip past the far post. A pleasing first half then from Rovers but would they be made to rue the fact that their first half superiority had yielded nothing by way of goals?

Rovers started the second half in the same vein with further crosses by Vincent and Osubu again finding no-one in a scoring position, a wild free-kick blasted well over by Bailey and really failing to bring the away keeper Moat into serious action. Then disaster after 55 minutes when Peterborough went ahead through centre forward Jake Newman who side-footed the opener from a pinpoint left wing cross but where oh where were the Rovers defenders? Give Rovers maximum credit though as their heads never dropped and, after withstanding a Peterborough revival following their goal, fought their way back into tis match. Manager Tony Fontanelle utilised his full quota of substitutes and with just two minutes remaining it was one of the super subs who saved the day. Rovers won a corner on the left and when it came over Moat flapped at the high ball leaving Jonny Butler with a free header which he steered back across the away keeper and into the back of the net 1-1!! A draw really was the minimum Rovers deserved from this match but life could have been a lot easier if just a fraction of that first half superiority had been turned into goals.

Rovers entertain the league's top side Bromsgrove Sporting this coming Saturday at Sharpenhoe Road 3PM kick-off.

Final Score: Barton Rovers FC 1 (Jonny Butler 88) Peterborough Sports FC 1 (Jake Newman 55)

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square