Honours even with the moles

Rovers hosted fellow strugglers Aylesbury hoping to make it back-to-back league wins following last week's away win at Dunstable Town. Rovers were by far the brightest early on and both Drew Phillips and Connor Vincent had shots at goal that were respectively blocked by Aylesbury Nick Bennion and wide of the target. The first half progressed with Rovers seemingly in control and Aylesbury never troubled the Rovers back four and Gary Malone in goal. Sam Gibson was next to threaten and brought a finger-tip save from Bennion when his shot was deflected goalwards. Stef Bailey got in on the act after 20 minutes but his shot lacked penetration and was easily smothered by Bennion. Two minutes later Vincent came closest to scoring when his shot from long range brought another fine save from Bennion. On 38 minutes a goalmouth scramble should have resulted in an opener for Rovers but Vincent failed to get decent contact and the the game remained scoreless and, worryingly, Rovers had not capitalised on a strong showing thus far. Rovers were made to to pay for not converting their chances two minutes later when Ty Deacon, the Aylesbury centre-forward, was given the freedom of Sharpenhoe Road to run through the Rovers rearguard and plant a scoring shot behind Malone to open the scoring completely against the run of play. Half-time came with Rovers unable to restore parity.

More of the same in the second half with Rovers monopolising possession and territorial advantage but lacking quality in both choice of crucial final pass and finishing. However, that changed dramatically after 51 minutes when a deft flick from Bailey found Victor Osubu unmarked to head home and level the match. Rovers created several other half chances notably but both Phillips and substitute Patrick Tshikala couldn't produce a decisive finish to nick all three pints for Rovers. So, Rovers missed an excellent opportunity to climb the league but nevertheless this was a better team performance than of late.

Next up for Rovers a Bedfordshire Senior Cup tie away at AFC Dunstable on Tuesday evening.

Final Score: Barton Rovers 1 (Osubu 51) Aylesbury FC 1 (Deacon 40)

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square