Rovers progress in The FA Cup

Rovers made two changes from the midweek home win with Kyle Forster replacing Dan Gould as keeper and Taishan Griffiths returning to replace the unavailable Jay Palmer at right back.

City were quickest out of the blocks but created nothing by way of early chances rather it was Rovers skipper Gary Jones threatening the City goal with an early effort saved low to his right by keeper Lewis Landers after just 6 minutes. Victor Osubu was next to threaten for Rovers but his effort at goal was blocked by Landers for a corner from which Jemal McKenzie -Lowe headed just wide of the home goal. City were better in possession but their finishing left a lot to be desired with, in quick succession midway through the half, Kirkpatrick, Booth, Bell and Dupray all having efforts but only one brought a straightforward save from Forster. Having weathered this flurry of City pressure, Rovers came alive and a fine run and curling effort from Victor Osubu after 23 minutes gave Rovers the lead somewhat against the run of play. Osubu was in the action just a few minutes later when, clean through on goal but forced wide by keeper Landers, had his shot blocked for a corner. City pressed for an equaliser but half-time came with Rovers a goal to the good.

City’s skipper and ex-Rover Adam Watkins was first to show as the second half got underway but, yet again, his effort failed to trouble Forster. City centre-forward Matt Foy then missed a gilt-edged scoring opportunity firing over the bar from point blank range. Rovers were under the cosh and McKenzie-Lowe was yellow carded for a late challenge with 55 minutes on the clock. City introduced two substitutes with an hour gone but, other than a contentious penalty appeal on 68 minutes and yet another shot fired wildly over the Rovers bar these changes failed to fire City back into this match. Then, with 77 minutes played Rovers substitute Ibby Lukulay was sent clean through on goal only to be hauled to the ground by City centre-half James Peters who, as last man, was red-carded for his misdemeanour. This proved a turning point and Rovers profited almost immediately from the man advantage with a spell of possession and play in the City half and, with 85 minutes gone, midfielder Dean Dummett headed his second goal in two games from a Rovers corner. This second goal sealed the win for Rovers and they progress to the next round draw with this fine away win.

Final Score: Cambridge City 0 Barton Rovers 2 ( Osubu 23, Dummett 85)

Rovers Team: Forster, Griffiths, Jones, Sonuga, McKenzie-Lowe, Dummett, Gibson, Tshikuna (Lukulay 60), Osubu (Wilson 90+3), Vincent, Wiiliams Jr (Gittens 83).

Rovers MOM: Victor Osubu

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square