A pointless game of 2 halves

Rovers were the architects of their own downfall in this away league fixture when a shocker of a start saw them concede three goals with barely twenty minutes on the clock. The early minutes masked what was to come as Rovers attacked with a good link-up between Conor Furlong and Victor Osobu that resulted in a fruitless corner after 6 minutes. Rovers midfielder Dean Dummett was flagged offside just two minutes later when heading wide of goal from a good position. With 8 minutes gone, United’s Richard Blythe cute chip forced Rovers keeper Niall Cooper into a fine save as he pushed the effort over his bar for a corner. From the resultant corner however, the Rovers defence were posted missing and the home side’s centre-back Elliot Parrott headed home unchallenged to open the scoring in the 9th minute. Just a minute later things went from bad to worse as three Rovers players dallied in midfield and were left for dead allowing home centre-forward Mitchell Piggon a free run in on goal and he made no mistake to double the home side’s advantage. United left-back Luke Rowe shot narrowly wide before doubling the home advantage with a carbon copy of their first goal this time with Alex Troke heading their third with no Rovers defender challenging. 18 minutes gone and Rovers with the veritable mountain to climb. United were totally dominating this match and Rovers were fortunate not to be further behind when both Blythe and Piggon wasted good goal-scoring opportunities around the 37 minute mark. Rovers edged their way back into this contest when Dummett shot straight into the arms of home keeper Daniel Crane and Osobu quickly followed with a mazy run but failed to sort his feet out when clean through and the chance went begging. United’s Piggon pulled a fine save from Coper before half time came with Rovers perhaps fortunate just to be the three goals down.

Rovers introduced debutant forward Goldy Capela from the subs bench at half-time and what a transformation he instigated in this match. Having played second fiddle the entire first half, Rovers completely turned the tables on their opponents dominating possession and operating all-out attacking football to great effect. Just2 minutes into the half Dummett ought to have opened the Rovers account but shot wide when it looked easier to score. Furlong came agonisingly close to touching home an Osobu cross on 52 minutes. Capel got in on the action a minute later but shot into the arms of the home keeper. The Rovers pressure was intense and their good second half fightback was rewarded when Capela got on the end of a Lewis Thomas header following a corner to get Rovers back in this match. United hit back briefly and Cooper had to deal with a goal-bound shot from Rowe on 58 minutes. Rovers threw everything at the United defence and finally it cracked again as that man Capela fired home his second of the match with just three minutes remaining to throw Rovers a lifeline. Dummett was denied an equaliser when his point blank header from a corner was brilliantly pushed over the bar by Crane for a corner. Agonisingly for Rovers and Dummett. when the corner was delivered he headed against the underside of the bar only to see the ball rebound to safety. Much to the home side’s relief the referee then blew for time in what became the classic game of two halves and with Rovers kicking themselves for their poor first half showing.

Final Score: Bedworth United 3 (Parrott 9, Piggon 10, Troke 18) Barton Rovers 2 (Capela 54 & 87)

Rovers Team: Cooper, Jibodu, Jones, Gibson (Capela 46), Andrews, Thomas, Osobu, Dummett, Vincent (Palmer 77), Tshikuna, Furlong.

Rovers MOM: Goldy Capela

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square