top of page

Dour game ends in a point a piece

Rovers, looking to get their first home win in the league this season field a side showing both personnel and positional changes. Jack Mace returned at right back, Salam Amoake in midfield with Jack Keating unavailable and Charlie Payne dropping to the bench. Hanwell Town were the visitors in this, the second of three consecutive home fixtures for Rovers, and they were coming into the match on the back of a rare midweek victory.

The early pace was set by Hanwell who were good in possession aided by a sluggish start by Rovers. In the 8th minute Hanwell might have scored but centre forward Tom Hunt shot over the bar from good position. Nathan Olukanmi was prominent on Rovers left showing good speed to get past his opposing defender but his end product was lacking consistency and failed to find a Rovers attacker in the box. Rovers James Verney then made a good run down the right in the 22nd minute, cut inside his defender but, with the goal in his sights, his finish lacked composure and sailed over the bar. Rovers were forced into a change when Olukanmi pulled up with what looked like a hamstring pull and was replaced by Jet Esso. Half time came with the score level at 0-0.

Hanwell Town began the second half much as they did in the first but with the added impetus of the creation of several good goal-scoring opportunities. However, a combination of wasteful finishing, some last-ditch Rovers defending and a couple of fine saves from Adam Harper in goal kept Hanwell at bay and allowed Rovers to work their way back into the game. Ebby Nelson-Addy and Salam Amoake for Rovers got the ball down in midfield and in the 72nd minute from a floated rightwing cross Rovers won a penalty when Danny Watson was barged over by Comes the Hanwell keeper as he was about to head toward the open goal. Watson picked himself up and sent the keeper the wrong way from the spot - 1-0 Rovers. Rovers lead however lasted all of 2 minutes when in the 74th minute Rovers keeper Harper was guilty of a handling error from a Hanwell corner which gifted an equalising goal to Hanwell, 1-1. Give this Rovers side a pat on the back as they then proceeded to lay siege to the Hanwell penalty area but, despite efforts by Watson, Amoake and Esso, simply couldn't find a way past Comes the Hanwell keeper to grab the three points in the dying minutes. Final score 1-1.

67 views0 comments
bottom of page